This homemade chicken broth is quite rich and thoroughly delicious. Drink it with a little bit of salt and black pepper, or use it as a base for risotto, ramen, or different types of soups.
Chicken Bone Broth
1 whole chicken minus the legs and thighs
6 chicken feet or 1/2 lb. chicken necks, and/or wings
12 cups filtered water
2 tbsp. apple cider vinegar
2 large carrots
1 yellow onion, quartered
Place the chicken, apple cider vinegar, and water in an 8-quart stockpot. Place over medium heat and bring to a boil.
While the broth is heating use a small mesh sieve to skim off the scum that rises to the surface of the water.
Once the broth reaches a boil, lower the heat and simmer uncovered for 90 minutes. Over time, you should notice that the broth looks a little thick and shimmery when you shift the pot.
Add the carrots and onion to the broth and simmer for 60 minutes.
Remove the broth from the heat, and take the chicken, bones, and vegetables from the stockpot. Set the chicken aside to cool and dispose of the vegetables. Once the chicken is cool, remove the meat from the bones to save for other uses.
To store the broth, lade it into a liquid measuring cup and pour it into jars through a fine-mesh strainer. Store in the fridge for 3-5 days.
- When making this broth, I like to remove the legs and thighs from the chicken for other meals, but you can leave them on.
- You can use leftover chicken bones from other meals to add to this broth. Just tuck them in the freezer until you need them.
- Once the broth is finished cooking, remove the bird from the pot, let cool, and pick the meat off the bones. Refrigerate or freeze and use for soups and sandwiches.
- You can roast the carrots and onions before adding to the broth for a richer flavor, but I usually add them raw. The choice is yours.
- Chicken feet are the best way to ensure your broth gets a good gel. If you want to try using them, look for them at your local farmers’ market or any ethnic markets in your area. If you don’t want to use them, stick with the chicken necks and wings instead.